In this blog I'm going to give the full recipe, as well as some adjustments and experiments I've tried over the years that add a twist to these really simple cakes
Ingredients (makes about 16 cup cakes if using medium eggs)2 Eggs
Self Raising Flour
(optional) Baking Powder and Milk
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C
- Weigh the eggs, still in their shells. Take note of this weight. This is the weight of flour, sugar and butter you will need (e.g. if your eggs weigh 200g, you need 200g of flour, 200g of butter and 200g of sugar).
- Place all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix until combined and the mixture drops from the spoon. Add a teaspoon of baking powder before mixing if you want the cakes to be extra fluffy. If the mixture doesn't get to the correct consistency, add a small splash of milk.
- Spoon into cake cases and bake for 15 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Leave to cool, and then decorate or simply dust with icing sugar.
AdaptionsOnce you've mastered the basic recipe, making changes can keep things interesting. Below are cupcake variants that have been tried and tested by my friends and family.
Banana Cup Cakes - Replace 1 egg and some of the sugar with a ripe banana - These are even more delicious if filled with raspberry jam!
Chocolate Chip Cup Cakes - Add chocolate chips to mixture before baking
Cinnamon and Pecan Cupcakes - Add a teaspoon of powdered cinnamon to the cake mix, and decorate with whipped cream and pecans.
Have you got a favourite go-to baking recipe? Please comment and tell me what it is, I'd love to know!